Pottery Barn - Hotel Double Sink Vanity -TOOTHPASTE SOLUBLE Paint
I am super pissed.Bought the carrara marble toppped hotel double sink vanity behemoth at the end of 2008; installed it in 2009 at the end of our high end master bathroom renovation.
The sink looked great (initially) with the marble floor and subway tile and we took good care of it diligently wiping the marble top to prevent etching etc. In reality we should have worried about the crappy white paint finish on its base. My husband first noticed some cracking of the paint following a few minor water spills. It was not anything too unsightly, so we let it go.
A couple months ago my 4 year old son obsessed with personal hygiene broke into the bathroom, sloppily brushed his teeth with Arm&Hammer toothpaste and smeared some of it on the vanity base. I wiped it off with a wet wash cloth no more than 20 minutes later only to find out that the toothpaste completely dissolved the paint (as in took it off like paint solvent). I was shocked but blamed it on my rigorous cleaning technique. About a week ago the same kid wiped his toothpaste covered hands on the vanity again.
This time we were super careful at cleanup but the paint came off just the same. Now the vanity has huge blotches of bare mdf and needs to be repainted, which presents a problem. How am I supposed to move a 400+ pound vanity to get it spray painted? Replacing it is not a option because the bathroom layout (as in plumbing, walls, lights) was planned around it and let's not forget about the $2000 investment!!!!!
Frustrated I phoned Pottery Barn to complain about my situation. I am a long-time Pottery barn customer and own a bedroom set, a huge sectional couch, a foldout couch, an entryway bench,a desk and several more things that escape me at the moment; in addition I routinely purchase stuff from sister companies Williams-Sonoma and West Elm; I have been quite happy with all of my purchases. You'd think it would count for something. Not in my case.
The pushback from 2 customer service reps ranged from questions like "Makes you wonder what you put on your teeth, doesn't it?" to " If it were a real problem it would have come up much earlier" and everything in between. I'd refrain from insulting the mental capacity of Pottery Barn reps as I do not want my post to get censored, but I had to explain to a grown human being that the toothpaste does not strip the enamel off my teeth and that I normally do not smear toothpaste all over the vanity. However, if I were to do it, which is not an unlikely scenario for a piece of furniture that is designed to come in contact with tootpaste and water, I would expect the finish to withstand it. The best they were able to offer is a referral to the Furniture Medic who would repaint it at my expense or a 5% discount on my future purchases, which is silly as as I get 10%+ discounts from them as routine promotions.
I am livid and will not give any more of my business to Pottery Barn. The hotel vanity line has been replaced with other similar looking vanities. I suggest you test the paint finish before you buy.
PS.I forgot to mention that the vanity came with mismatched hardware.
More Review Details
You May Also Like
- "I ordered a bed from Pottery Barn in April 2015, and it was delivered to my home in May 2015. While I was crawling around on the floor on June..."
- "Don't believe the hype!!! I bought two of these believing they would help my migraine as hyped in the infomercials. I Washed it ONCE and it turned into a..."
- "On the date of 10/24/11I purchased a living room set from Ashley Furniture .The set consisted of ,A couch and love seat, 2 end tables ,one soft table.I thought..."
- "Here is my fiance's recent horrible experience with David's Bridal: Store: 0188 Tran#03027317 Rep Betty S. 730335 My experience with this company has not only caused me to completely lose faith in..."
- "I just purchased a 1TB SimpleSave external U.S.B. Hard drive today and discovered that the drive does not contain 1 terribytes of disk space (as cliamed on the box). ..."
- "I ordered 16 bone in hot wings ,1st time around I got boneless breaded wing , then called the store they sent out bone in which taste like cold Chinese..."
- "On January 20, 2016 we saw a feature of the Fin Bed on The Today Show's "Steals and Deals" segment. We purchased a king size bed for $749 ($200 off..."
- "I received a postcard that assured me that I had "an unclaimed reward" -- I called the provided number on the card; the person who answered spoke broken English and..."
- "Having purchased our first Keystone Cougar Fifth Wheel (with having numerous other camper purchases)...I have to say get have the worst possible customer service possible giving us the run around..."