Pottery Barn - Hotel Double Sink Vanity -TOOTHPASTE SOLUBLE Paint
I am super pissed.Bought the carrara marble toppped hotel double sink vanity behemoth at the end of 2008; installed it in 2009 at the end of our high end master bathroom renovation.
The sink looked great (initially) with the marble floor and subway tile and we took good care of it diligently wiping the marble top to prevent etching etc. In reality we should have worried about the crappy white paint finish on its base. My husband first noticed some cracking of the paint following a few minor water spills. It was not anything too unsightly, so we let it go.
A couple months ago my 4 year old son obsessed with personal hygiene broke into the bathroom, sloppily brushed his teeth with Arm&Hammer toothpaste and smeared some of it on the vanity base. I wiped it off with a wet wash cloth no more than 20 minutes later only to find out that the toothpaste completely dissolved the paint (as in took it off like paint solvent). I was shocked but blamed it on my rigorous cleaning technique. About a week ago the same kid wiped his toothpaste covered hands on the vanity again.
This time we were super careful at cleanup but the paint came off just the same. Now the vanity has huge blotches of bare mdf and needs to be repainted, which presents a problem. How am I supposed to move a 400+ pound vanity to get it spray painted? Replacing it is not a option because the bathroom layout (as in plumbing, walls, lights) was planned around it and let's not forget about the $2000 investment!!!!!
Frustrated I phoned Pottery Barn to complain about my situation. I am a long-time Pottery barn customer and own a bedroom set, a huge sectional couch, a foldout couch, an entryway bench,a desk and several more things that escape me at the moment; in addition I routinely purchase stuff from sister companies Williams-Sonoma and West Elm; I have been quite happy with all of my purchases. You'd think it would count for something. Not in my case.
The pushback from 2 customer service reps ranged from questions like "Makes you wonder what you put on your teeth, doesn't it?" to " If it were a real problem it would have come up much earlier" and everything in between. I'd refrain from insulting the mental capacity of Pottery Barn reps as I do not want my post to get censored, but I had to explain to a grown human being that the toothpaste does not strip the enamel off my teeth and that I normally do not smear toothpaste all over the vanity. However, if I were to do it, which is not an unlikely scenario for a piece of furniture that is designed to come in contact with tootpaste and water, I would expect the finish to withstand it. The best they were able to offer is a referral to the Furniture Medic who would repaint it at my expense or a 5% discount on my future purchases, which is silly as as I get 10%+ discounts from them as routine promotions.
I am livid and will not give any more of my business to Pottery Barn. The hotel vanity line has been replaced with other similar looking vanities. I suggest you test the paint finish before you buy.
PS.I forgot to mention that the vanity came with mismatched hardware.bdb4355
You may also like
- "8/16/2013 Dear Customer Service: I purchased the lounger sofa bed from your online store, and have since moved. I can't figure out how to put it together again. I also may be..."
- "I have had my Natuzzi leather sofa and recliner for 10 years. We just moved and my wife insisted on new leather because of the color of our Natuzzi. She..."
- "I ordered the Paragould Microfiber Sectional Sofa from defysupply.com on May 17th, 2012. I was quoted 4-6 weeks for delivery. Almost 11 weeks later, on July 31, 2012, I..."
- "I ordered the Costa Collection (and yes almost the entire collection) and ordered two chairs, two chase, tables etc... Spent about $16,000 on just this collection and order alone. This..."
- "When I purchased my phone and protection plan, you told me the process to exchange it should it break would be simple and it was..... Now I go in and..."
- "Found a tag that seems to be a label for dating food items when they were put in the cooler. As I was eating a Bacon Portabella burger I noticed a..."
- "I had 4 new tires installed on my Acura MDX Sport at Tire Kingdom in Lake Park, FL. My vehicle is only 2 years old and has a special..."
- "Website states the recipient will receive within minutes usually, it has been over 24 hours and still nothing they took my money immediately out of my account but still have..."
- "My family and I stayed at the Days Inn in Blue Springs Mo Oct thru Nov this year @012. On Nov 4th my wife awoke at 3am with pain in..."