I am super pissed.Bought the carrara marble toppped hotel double sink vanity behemoth at the end of 2008; installed it in 2009 at the end of our high end master bathroom renovation.
The sink looked great (initially) with the marble floor and subway tile and we took good care of it diligently wiping the marble top to prevent etching etc. In reality we should have worried about the crappy white paint finish on its base. My husband first noticed some cracking of the paint following a few minor water spills. It was not anything too unsightly, so we let it go.
A couple months ago my 4 year old son obsessed with personal hygiene broke into the bathroom, sloppily brushed his teeth with Arm&Hammer toothpaste and smeared some of it on the vanity base. I wiped it off with a wet wash cloth no more than 20 minutes later only to find out that the toothpaste completely dissolved the paint (as in took it off like paint solvent). I was shocked but blamed it on my rigorous cleaning technique. About a week ago the same kid wiped his toothpaste covered hands on the vanity again.
This time we were super careful at cleanup but the paint came off just the same. Now the vanity has huge blotches of bare mdf and needs to be repainted, which presents a problem. How am I supposed to move a 400+ pound vanity to get it spray painted? Replacing it is not a option because the bathroom layout (as in plumbing, walls, lights) was planned around it and let's not forget about the $2000 investment!!!!!
Frustrated I phoned Pottery Barn to complain about my situation. I am a long-time Pottery barn customer and own a bedroom set, a huge sectional couch, a foldout couch, an entryway bench,a desk and several more things that escape me at the moment; in addition I routinely purchase stuff from sister companies Williams-Sonoma and West Elm; I have been quite happy with all of my purchases. You'd think it would count for something. Not in my case.
The pushback from 2 customer service reps ranged from questions like "Makes you wonder what you put on your teeth, doesn't it?" to " If it were a real problem it would have come up much earlier" and everything in between. I'd refrain from insulting the mental capacity of Pottery Barn reps as I do not want my post to get censored, but I had to explain to a grown human being that the toothpaste does not strip the enamel off my teeth and that I normally do not smear toothpaste all over the vanity. However, if I were to do it, which is not an unlikely scenario for a piece of furniture that is designed to come in contact with tootpaste and water, I would expect the finish to withstand it. The best they were able to offer is a referral to the Furniture Medic who would repaint it at my expense or a 5% discount on my future purchases, which is silly as as I get 10%+ discounts from them as routine promotions.
I am livid and will not give any more of my business to Pottery Barn. The hotel vanity line has been replaced with other similar looking vanities. I suggest you test the paint finish before you buy.
PS.I forgot to mention that the vanity came with mismatched hardware.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Hotel Double Sink Vanity
- Review category
- Furniture and Decor
- Review rating
- 5 out of 5
You May Also Like
- "Went to Pottery Barn in Appleton, Wi to get help designing my living room and home office, over several weeks was ignored, told I was indecisive and when I bought..."
- "I bought a "bonded" leather sofa/sleeper in 2011 with a 5yr Goof Proof warranty. The cushions started to buckle and peel this year, after the 1yr manufacturer warranty expired. I..."
- "I bought a red leather couch. It was on sale at $1500. Regular over $2000. I thought I was buying a leather couch that would last for..."
- "I sent two brand new sets of headlights off to get customized and when the shop received my headlights they sent me a picture of my boxes and headlights. one..."
- "On Friday March 7th I returned $223 worth un-scanned of clothing from Nasty Gal at store 6133 located on 75 N Woodward Ave, Tallahassee, FL 32306. Since the package came..."
- "During the last week of December 2015, we decided we had enough of the $170/month bills from Centurylink. Paid final bill in full in January after cancelling my service..."
- "I purchased a refrigerator from HHgregg on a HHgregg credit card, price $2,197 model # WRV986FDEM01 S# K61328309 delivered June 5, 2016. I noticed after about two weeks that..."
- "I was at the White Plains Expo on July 24th and purchased, *what was labeled on the container it was in* a Theraphosa Blondi (Goliath Birdeater). The guy who was..."
- "Hi, I recently went to Sears automotive in Colombia, Maryland to have a tire replaced. I was traveling from New Hampshire and had encountered a flat along the way. After googling..."