Pottery Barn Furniture - cheaply made, *** delivery

I treated myself to a $1,300 Bedford furniture office set from Pottery Barn last week. The furniture description was pine & MDF, which they described as an "engineered wood that lends exceptional strength". Delivery info. was vague and implied a combination of hand delivery and UPS, but I had purchased furniture from them before & it was hand delivered and assembled. Since I paid over $100 delivery on this set, I assumed it would get the same treatment. I was wrong on all counts. It arrived today via UPS - I have 3 herniated discs & this set arrived in 4 boxes, 75+ lbs. each - I can't lift over 20 lbs. & had no way of getting them from the bottom of my stairs into my home. It took me 5 hours to unpack & assemble the set, and package up the trash it generated (4 trash bags, not including recyclable cardboard). The desk set is cheap & not so durable. I have already scratched, chipped & gouged it accidentally. In a year, it will probably be trashed. The sliding drawers to the 3-drawer filing cabinets do not open/close easily & already one got stuck. I recommend you go to IKEA - you can pick up an office set made out of similar MDF for far less.

DO NOT BUY THE HASTINGS COFFEE TABLE!!!!

Reclaimed wood top cracks when you get it home!!!

DO NOT BUY THE HASTINGS COFFEE TABLE!!!!

Reclaimed wood top cracks when you get it home!!!

DO NOT BUY THE HASTINGS COFFEE TABLE!!!!

Reclaimed wood cracks when you get it home.

Not only that, my daughter wanted a loft bed from PBTeen for $1799, ya like i can afford that. So I went on ikea.com and they had a loft bed (a bit simpler) for $300 thats way more affordible

View more comments (3)
Hull, Massachusetts

Pottery Barn Return Policy

Beware of the Pottery Barn online return policy. The return policy states that you cannot return an item for a refund after 30 days. I ordered curtains for my house. The curtains were backordered and shipped 5 weeks later. When I tried to return them, they used the...

A similar problem. Very annoyed and will not buy from PB again. There are plenty of other places to get similar items at same quality.

Washington, District Of Columbia

Avoid pottery barn at all cost

I recently spend over $20k with Pottery Barn for new furniture. But there are so many problem with customer service. Media center was damaged in transit. I had to call pottery barn to get shipping and delivery charge reimbursed. Since its not my problem that the media center arrived damage. After 6 weeks, the media center still has not been refunded nor the shipping/delivery charge. We also cancelled the love seat because it was too big to pass the door. Still pottery barn shipped the love seat (not yet delivered) after we called several time to cancel. Pottery barn is stuffing the love seat down my throat. So right now, I am out over $2200 on a love seat i can't use and a damaged media center that i returned. Avoid pottery barn at all cost. They are not a stand up company.

Most special order furniture is not returnable. It is the job of the consumer to research what will & will not work in their space.

As for the media center, you are wrong; whenever something is delivered damaged it is always replaced ASAP.

Finally, (2) pieces do not equal a $20k expenditure so you are prone to exaggeration. Customer service received is not based on how much is spent.....one usually gets the best service when they are the most polite.

Seattle, Washington
Loss

Pottery Barn has substandard customer service

Ordered quilt online using PB credit card. Item arrived but was of poor quality, so I returned to local Pottery Barn store. The stores can not process the return and credit the return to my credit card, they have to initiate a return and told me the return would show against my credit card in one day. The gave me a receipt with a return number. Three days later the return still did not show in my account. I called the store and inquired about the status. I was told they could not look up my return in the store and I would have to call customer service. They gave me the phone number for customer service, which turned out to be the wrong number - they gave me the number for sales, which is a completely different number. Way to go store staff! First you give me misinformation about the time it would take for the credit to be processed, then you give me the wrong number to call. I called customer service. By the way, their beginning recording states the have a 'tradition of excellent customer service'. After a 10 minute wait, I was able to speak to an associate who said my return was 'in process'. I wanted to know why other companies, i.e. Talbots, JC Penney, J Jill, Tiffanys, you name it will credit your original form of payment at the store if you return an item purchased online to one of their stores but Pottery Barn can't seem to be that progressive. I asked to speak to a supervisor. I wanted to know exactly what day my credit would be applied to my credit card. After several minutes waiting, I was told by the associate the supervisor would apply by credit tonight and 'it should show on my card tomorrow'. I asked for a reference number and he said there was no need for one. So how can I be sure? He said I could call back tomorrow if it did not show. I reminded him I had asked to speak to the supervisor. She was mysteriously 'not around'. I will never buy online from PB again. After my account is credited, I will cancel their credit card and take the hit against my credit score.

Yes, as stated earlier, if you can leave a complaint here couldn't you have found the number via potterybarn.com, and you really needed a credit in 24 hours...if you can afford to shop at pottery barn, you can't be on your last dollar.

You can also initiate the return from your personal computer at the Pottery Barn website and get your return started and print out the paperwork AND THEN just go into the store and drop it off. You need to educate yourself on all your options....

You seem to have absolved yourself of all responsibility in this situation. Why not just look online for the catalog number and everyone knows that returns take at least 3-5 business days to clear the merchant's bank and then your personal bank. It's how it is everywhere.

Hartford, Connecticut

Cheap wood with $$$$ Price to make it seem nice

We spent over $3000on baby furniture and from the start is was a mess. The folks that they hire as a third party to deliever the furniture were rude and unprofessional. After being promised to deliever anyday, they would only come on Fridays. Once it got to our house I noticed scratches, dents and warps. However they delievery people left already to send it back. If you rubb your finger acorss the dresser it leaves a mark. It easily scratches. The wood that was described has hard and everlasting is cheaper than IKEA. After only having it for 3 months, it looks old and beaten due to scratches and dents appearing due to normal use. I will never go back.
Irvington, New Jersey

Will not deliver $1000 bed

We purchased a bed from Pottery Barn kids for my daughter on August 6th, 2011. It was then back ordered until Sept 18th. I called Pottery Barn to check on the status of the back order. The bed arrived in the warehouse on the 19th. They promised it would be out the next day and we should have a call early the next week... yeah right, on the 26th, I get an email saying it had shipped. Since it's furniture, it can't be tracked. So, I called on the 29th to check on the status. According to the CR, I'm going to be waiting another 4 to 6 weeks for delivery... absolutely NOT acceptable. Every CR I've talked to has been exceedingly rude and condescending. They are quick to send off inquiries and complaints to another department, doing this often enough and keeping you on hold until you give up. Think twice before ordering ANY furniture from Pottery Barn.
Los Angeles, California

Pottery barn

After placing an order for $2,090 dollars, I've had order complications with every associate that I have come into contact with which has led me to make at least 10 phone calls to correct my orders, inaccurate charging, and unauthorized deleted orders. I additionally had a wall organizer set sent to me in the wrong color that was then sent back and reordered to find today that they have over charged me and charged my credit card for items that are on back order and not supposed to be charged until shipped. Also, I ordered two more items yesterday that they are completely unaware of. Therefore, I'm questioning the integrity of the company and conducting business with them in the future. Ideally, I feel like a competent managerial representative should have contacted me to straighten out these issues, but this did not happen.

My wife and I ordered a couch about 18 weeks ago ( first week of March, it is now August 8th and we have no ETA for delivery). The manager in the Atlanta Lenox store ( Marianne) has provided less than average customer service and if she did not provide us with a "temporary couch" I would have cancelled our order by now.

So we originally ordered the sofa we wanted IN THE STORE only to find out weeks later that they ordered a love seat instead of the couch. We were patient and asked for the reorder but unfortunately these people are retarted.

My wife, who used to shop religiously at Pottery Barn will not shop here anymore and we've realized their customer support is AWEFUL. Long story short, this is our last purchase EVER from pottery barn

Houlton, Maine

Pottery Barn Fashion Valley: Liars and idiots

Complete idiots run this store, so just go to the location in UTC and save yourself the time and aggravation. When the UTC location called them, while I was standing there, they said they had the two products in stock....gave them my name and cell phone number and...

Dear "anonymous",

It seems that you are quick to name names but a coward to post your own. I have shopped at both locations in the past and they are pretty equal in their service.

I have a hard time believing that these 2 girls that you are naming deliberately denied to sell you the merchandise you wished to purchase. They are only human and mistakes can happen.

I have worked in customer service before and businesses don't want or need your business.

So, the next time you go shopping, think and ask before you shoot your mouth off. Get a life!

San Diego, California

Poor quality furniture

We purchased the whole Bedford Home Office set plus additional pieces - lateral file, additional two-drawer files, additional desk. The lateral file broke within 6 weeks. If you close the drawers they will not open. They are not overfull - just a reasonable amount of files. The top drawer closed and would not reopen. We called and Pottery Barn said it was past the 30 day guarantee. We finally broke the little plastic mechanism that keeps the drawer in place in order to get it open. We use it but do not close it - every once in awhile someone unknowingly closes it again and it is a big ordeal to get it open. About two months later, the same thing happened with the bottom drawer. This was not an inexpensive item. Pottery Barn should stand behind their products.

DO NOT BUY THE HASTING COFFEE TABLE!!!

DO NOT BUY THE HASTING COFFEE TABLE!!!

Reclaimed wood top will crack!!!

View more comments (1)
Valhalla, New York

Pottery Barn - very bad delivery experience

If you work full time or are not always available at home, be careful when buying Pottery Barn Furniture online, cause you may get pissed with the delivery experience: - No option to schedule dates and time - very inflexible. The time windows are very limited and you only know the time 1 day in advance. - Not reliable communication with logistic company - It sounds like we are doing them a favor to receive the furniture we bought - No accurate service - besides the time window being limited, they may get there by surprise in a non-scheduled time. too sad that a company with good products is losing customers because of this bad process

Next time go into the store and have them order it for you. They will be able to track it for you at the store level and you will have someone that you can work with that you've met in person.

Update to the story: I found out that the chair has *** in it by in home delivery service after following up on the delivery timeframe since I hadn't heard from them and it was close to the end of the day! Pottery barn was supposed to call me about that but never did.

My question: At one point did they find out there was *** in the chair? Don't they have quality checks? I'm thinking about canceling and having them p/u the ottoman and request a 100% refund, this is rediculous?! I'm wondering how long I'll have to wait this time.

No one knows just yet (two to three business days of figuring out so I'm told).

I'm tired of dealing with this *** monkey business!! :(

I fullheartidley agree! I'm having a bad experience with them as we speak.

Had I known they were so inflexible, I wouldn't have ordered from them in the first place! And it takes FOREVER to get your *** furniture! I have an ottoman that doesn't yet have the chair (came first, WTF?).

Tomorrow I'm expecting the chair and have yet to be called on the time window. I don't know how they are still in business!!

Reston, Virginia

Potter Barn Short Pump is Rude

Dear Customers, Please do not shop at the pottery barn in short pump (Richmond, Virginia). Every time that I have tried to buy something from that store, I have been ignored, talked down to and treated with the worst customer service. The sales associates act like I am bothering them when trying to check out. Guess business must be really booming if it is an incontinent for me to purchase items from the store. The Manager is even worst. Please avoid this store. I do not want anyone to support such a nasty company. Pottery Barn is an example of how not to treat your customers. Thank you.

Stand clear of ordering online. Long story but if you work F/T M-F, don't expect an in-home delivery to be scheduled around your schedule.

I was told that they do not deliver on the weekends in my area. One of the many problems I've had in this monkey business process.

Had I known this would be an issue, I would have never ordered from there! I've had a furniture delivery scheduled around what works for me from a different vendor so this is total bs!

Richmond, Virginia

Pissed over Pottery Barn delivery service

Why pay Pottery Barn prices when you can get IKEA type delivery stress? I paid the ridiculously expensive Pottery Barn prices to have requested in ALL CAPS morning delivery between 8am-12 for any day for two weeks, since I knew that afternoons were not an option. We did not have a choice on this. Excel Delivery said they were unable to give even a 4 hour window time and could not tell me anything untiil day before delivery. Got a call afternoon before delivery that our request was not met, and we would have an afternoon delivery so we needed to reschedule. They gave me a pottery barn tel number 888-779-**** because apparently sometimes Pottery Barn will 'pay extra' for a 4-hour window service. I WAITED ON this POTTERY BARN PHONE LINE FOR 30 MINUTES until I gave up and called back delivery people to book it two weeks out to the only day we could be here in afternoon. This is competitive consumerism? Ridiculous and stressful. People on phone were always nice but couldn't do anything to help. What a racket paying Pottery Barn prices and giving us delivery service like this.

This is how Exel does business. It doesn't matter if the items come from Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware.

Exel will only work out their delivery schedule the day before and call mid-afternoon/early evening that day with a time window. Before you order any furniture I'd check who the delivery agent is because if it's Exel this is how you can expect all deliveries to go.

I had a very similar experience with Pottery Barn and Excel Direct. I ordered furniture.

Excel Direct does the furniture Delivery for Pottery Barn.

First they will only deliver to where I live, Morgan Hill, CA on specific days.

Second they will not commit to a time until the day before so if you work as I do you have to tell your employer you have to *** but it could be any time a specific day. This makes the whole cost of purchase not only the purchase price, but the cost of taking time off from work in order to accommodate a delivery service that has no interest in accommodating you.

So I join you Excel Direct Sucks

Pottery Barn Sucks.

I can see why stores like Mancini Sleep world prosper because they make a point of making the post purchase experience as good as possible while Pottery Barn has abandoned that aspect of the purchase experience to a vendor who clearly says we will only do it on our terms not yours.

I had a similar terrible experience with the people at EXEL. Their people on the phone are clueless as to what's being ordered and they are completely inflexible.

Has to be the worst delivery company in the world. Pottery Barn is bringing their brand down by using this company.

Worst service from Exel and Pottery Barn. Will never order from that store again. 3 separate orders, all 3 damaged, all 3 deliveries came over 3 hours late.

Never again.

So why are you complaining about Pottery Barn when it is clearly an EXEL delivery issue.

It would be nice if they would work in their people skills and get everyone a A+ service! They are flat *** and rude!

I called to confirmed my order was going to be deliver in two days.I place my order on August 24, 2011(Wednesday), and I payed $15 extra, so I called to be sure my order was going to be deliver by date assigned. This girl said: " No Mrs..., it takes some time for the order to process, so I would actually be there by Tuesday.

I needed it by Monday that was exactly why I payed for the 'RUSH DELIVERY.' This is BS. So hang up, and called again, this other girl said, "Your order will be there by Monday" when I asked to take her name, she hang up on me. What kind of rude service is that? Is they don't like their job, go somewhere else.

So disappointed of Pottery Barn, never again!

They absolutely don't know what the heck they are doing? Sort of incompetents idiots!!!

Sorry to hear about your delivery experience. I have had various deliveries for bedroom furniture, 3 armchairs, and a sofa, and each time, my delivery window was 2 hours.

View more comments (7)
Oakland, California

Terrible Pottery Barn delivery service

Their delivery service/customer service is careless and extremely inefficient. We've recieved an email from PB back in March 2011 indicating that our sofa was shipped; i had waited for about 2 weeks and when no one called, placed a call to PB cust. service to inquire about the delivery. The answer I got was that the email was perhaps misleading and it would take about 6 weeks for it to travel from their factory to NJ (amazingly we get ship-load of stuff from China in less than 6 weeks; ask the ones in business). Nevertheless, we waited and waited and waited until June 18, 2011. It turns out that our sofa has been sitting in a warehouse in NJ since late April (more than 6 weeks in some warehouse) and they've called and left messages apparently at a number wrong by 1 digit. This was their error too. Our paperwork had the correct number. I then went ahead and dialed the wrong number in their file and guess what; it was "not in service". So, how could they claim to leave messages? not truthful! Never will I give them any business and caution those out there to think twice. By the way, they also had our 2500 bucks for all this time.

We were told that we could diregard our first credit card invoice as our couch had not yet shipped when the bill arrived 8 weeks after order). They then charged us a late fee for not paying it.

They then offered 10% credit on the total for our problems.

It was not activated on the account. Nothing but lies about delivery date, finance issues....never again.

Pottery Barn should not sell furniture that needs to be delivered, at least by Excel. Horrible experience all around.

Pottery Barn acts so pretentious but it's service is horrible. I will never buy from them again!

I do agree about this review I have same experience but I'm still awaiting my sofa, this company is a trash, do NOT buy

Newark, New Jersey

Pottery Barn premium furniture no minor repair referrals

My wife and I have purchased multiple pieces of patio furniture from Pottery Barn. We have always felt they were a premium retailer with solid customer service. 2 summer seasons ago at the end of the patio season the string/pulley on our patio umbrella broke. This...

Next time call Furniture Medic. It worked for me.

Schaumburg, Illinois

Is It in Stock?

I have a couple of complaints that finally resulted in me unsubscribing from Pottery Barn emals and I have had my name removed from their mailing list, so I no longer receive their catalog. I have been a loyal customer of Pottery Barn for over 10 years, but this was the last straw. In January I received a new catalog and found a chair in the catalog I wanted to order. I called to place my order and was told the chair was no longer available, I just received the catalog. In February I ordered two outdoor lanterns and was told they would ship in March, then it was changed to June, then July and finally September, I cancelled this order. I ordered s set of three vases for a Birthday gift, to be delivered to the recipient, I received an email stating that the items were available for immediate delivery, after not receiving an email stating that the items had shipped I called and was told they were on back oreder until September, I cancelled this order a well. And for the last straw, I ordered an $800. slipcover for my PB Basic sofa on April 1st, I did not receive any email as to when this itme would ship, so In May I contacted customer service and was emailed that the item would ship direct from the supplier of June 21st, on June 6th I received a phone call from customer service that due to the maufacturer not having the fabric I chose and the new revised delivery date would be July 21st(It took them two months to determine that they didn't have fabric to complete an order, Unacceptalbe). I cancelled this order as well, with regrets as I really wanted this slipcover. I will no longer have anything to do with Pottery Barn nor will I buy any of their products (assuming they actually have any items in stock). I shop numerous online sites and have NEVER had this kind of stocking issue.
Edmonds, Washington